Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

For A Moment

Since I decided to blog actively in around September, I told myself to update it at least once a week. But I come to realize that the amount of time to write a post takes around 2 hours. (What's with me keep editing it over and over again)That's a high opportunity cost. I could use the time to do an assignment question, a tutorial or at least do some studying.

And I told myself not to mention anything too personal. You hardly see constant updates about my personal feelings, etc. You may see some posts with some revelation of my past, which made the person I am today. But never about how I really feel now. I always think that blog posts should be written in an audience-friendly way, since it is public. Who the heck wants to read about what you do everyday and what silly updates about petty issues/events you have encountered. That is what Facebook status updates and Twitter for.

But today I am going to break the code. I am writing this only for myself. Don't read. This is boring.

A foreigner came to the table where I was eating lunch. He looked at my friend and said, "Abang, boleh bagi duit makan." He was practically begging my friends for money to eat. I was tempted to take out the RM5 note from my purse and give it to him. My friends stopped me and asked me to ignore him. He walked away and continue begging from other tables.

Then my friend exclaimed, "Can work, work la. Why wanna ask for money?"

I can feel my heart crumbled.
One of my friends hired a Bangladesh worker for his newly formed car wash and polish company.
The worker was 4 years older than my friend. And called my friend, "Boss".
I mean I know that is common la, since my friend is the boss. But my friend is only 21 years old.
The worker, let's call him Suresh, once studied in United States for an economics degree but couldn't continue due to his lack of proficiency in English.
Then he came to Malaysia to work as a Toyota car washer.
His boss bullied him, as in always paying him late or not paying him at all.
His pay at Toyota is RM800 a month. He needs to send RM400 to his mother in Bangladesh,pay RM200 for his visa/passport and his rent is almost rm200 a month.
I wondered how he can survive in a month. (He eats at mamak all the time, each of his meal barely cost more than RM3)

During the first 2 weeks of his work at my friend's place, my friend gave him RM400 in advance.
On the way home, halfway in the bus, his friends asked him to get down from the bus and brought him to a corner.
They beat him up, took away all his money and even his handphone. The poor guy has to walk almost 10km to get home.
Imagine that, his own friends.

So when my friends exclaimed that these people should be ignored and the way my friends looked at these people, I felt.....like they do not know how to see things beyond.
God knows what's the story behind this guy.
What put him into a position to beg.
Whether his boss mistreated him or his money got stolen by his own friends.
He is human too, just like anyone of us.
Just much more unlucky than us.
Who would beg if given a choice?
At least he is not stealing or doing any crimes to get money.
And we are blaming these people for the crimes in our country.

I know that you might think I am too gullible and easy to cheat with this kind of thinking.
And I should mind my own business.
There's nothing we can do right?

You're wrong.
The reason why I want to be filthy rich is because of this.
I want to make changes in people's lives.
I want to give opportunity to people who are determined to change their life.

I want to build ladders, not climb them.
As students, we are always being taught how to acquire and what skills we need to have in order to climb corporate ladders, so we can earn a good living.
But who has ever told us to work in order to make a difference in people's lives?
Have we ever been taught to think about others, instead of always ourselves?
It's always about what we want, and we will never get satisfied.
Because human's desires are unlimited.
What about those whose needs are of less?

I want to build a business empire.
I want provide job opportunities for the people out there.
We have poor students who may not be so bright to get a scholarship, but they are determined to learn and earn a living just like us.
I want to provide a job where they can work and study at the same time, if possible, provide a little aid to those eager to expand their knowledge.
I want to provide jobs for housewives who need to find a perfect balance between managing their homes and earning money for the family.

I want to help those who want to help themselves.
I want to teach them to fish, instead of giving them fishes.
I want to provide them education in managing their finances.

But most importantly, the person I need to help first is myself.
I am willing to forgo buying Iphone 4 or a fancy car for the sake of investing in assets that can generate me positive cash flows.

I am very close to achieving my target for these 3 months.
I am a truly blessed person I would say.
Craps has been happening to me since this year June, and I blame it on the new mole on the back of my neck. LOL.
I removed it two days ago. It was a "burden" mole.
She asked to remove another mole on my neck, below my chin.
It was a "tiada untung" mole.
No Wonder everytime I earn a sum of money, it goes OFF. Like it was earned to be Spent.
Take for example, I earned rm700 from an insurance case. RM600 was being paid for my car breakdowns.
I earn rm100 for the Japanese tour guide thing, rm70 goes to my medical bill.
I earn a sum of money (I'm not gonna tell) from the property project, and it's gonna be used for my education fee next semester because I will not be getting my Ptptn loan next year.

Oh yeah, I'll get back to the blessing part.
I wanna thank few people who made my life meaningful.

First of all,
Mother. (mother always comes first lol)
Thanks for always supporting me. For saving my ass all the time. For not yelling at me when I fail my exam. Thanks for being understanding. No words can describe my love and appreciation for you.

Joanna
You are my truly best friend. It has been years, and you are always there for me. I may have done some sh*ts in the past, and you stood by me no matter what. For this, I pledge my loyalty to you. If one day, if you fall into the sea, I will jump in to rescue you even if I don't know how to swim, so you can use my dead body as a float. If you need an organ transplant, I will donate my organ to you without hesitation. If you badly need financial aid, I will go an extra length for you to get the money you need. Just promise me one thing, always be my best friend.

Wai Kin, k7, Boon Swan, Mun Fhoong, Shah, Kim Hoong, Willy
You guys are awesome. I don't know what I'll do without you guys. You gave me a reason to laugh. You have seen me in and out of relationships (with the same guy or different guy lol) but gave me support all the way. I never regret going out with you guys. You guys play a very important role in my life. And no matter what, it's a promise, I will not ditch you guys when I get a new boyfriend. LOL. Wai kin, remember you promise me to buy a chow chow when you earn your first pay. Mun fhoong, you promised me to take me for a ride when you buy a new bike. Europe back packing! Here we come!

My sister, Hui Li
You monkey, I know you don't read my blog because you think that there are TOO much words.
I love you, you complete me. Although you're always sucking money from me. You can do things which I perceived difficult to do. I completely adore you. But please do learn to take care of yourself.

My boss, Ananda
You may be amused that I stayed in the company although there a few people already going in and out. But the reason I stayed is you. You took care of me well, go an extra length for me, taught me many valuable things (I have become more financial literate because of you) and take bullets for me from customers who attacked me.
I appreciate your sincerity and concern for me. You are truly one of a kind. A rare gem in this financial industry. And my life.

UTAR Friends
I am sorry for my MIA behaviour throughout my years in university. It's you guys who save my ass all the time. You guys know who you are. My university years are wonderful because of you guys. While the world is cruel out there, innocence, love and true friendship are what I've found in you guys.

Kai Kang
I may have not given you definite answers. But I want you to know that you meant a lot to me. You played a huge role in shaping the person who I am today. ( I know you don't read blogs too)

I think that should be all, the ones who made me feel life is worth living. I know, what the heck, I am talking as if I am going to leave the world soon. But just for a moment, I want to remember how blessed I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment